F.Y.I.

Friday, January 20, 2017

New Year Goals: Life, Books, and Writing

I started this blog in mid-January, so my New Year's Resolution post is a bit late in the month, but really that just means I can give more info about my goals, right? Right...

Anyway, I usually don't make grand Resolutions with a capital "R" at the New Year because I never really plan on tracking my progress and therefore it's a pointless exercise. Not so this year! For 2017 I'm making a few Resolutions for myself because I have a system in place to track my progress and hold myself accountable. Without further ado, let's get into it!


First: I've started this blog and I want to develop and maintain a schedule of posts so that something new is up every week
I've decided to start ambitiously and go for 3-4 posts a week, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. However, keeping that schedule is not my resolution because things will change this year and I want to allow room for my growth and development without having to scrap a resolution entirely. So long as I put up something new every week from no through 2018, I'll consider this resolution accomplished. 

Second: I want to build my fitness and continue to workout at least 3 times a week in a structured manner.
Again, I'm being very lenient with this goal to allow myself to change how I workout over the course of the year. I've started the year doing Yoga daily through Yoga with Adriene's Revolution calendar. I do not expect to be able to maintain daily yoga for the whole year, though I would like to build a regular practice. 
I've also started running with the C25K app and am already half-way though that 8-week course. I hope to continue running regularly and building my endurance, but I'm not going to lock myself in to running 3x a week if I find another cardio that I enjoy more.
Basically, as long as I'm doing some workout regime that gets me active at least 3 days a week, 
I win!

Third: I want to get my physical TBR down to 0.
Over the years I've accumulated quite a few books but because I move so frequently, I want to get rid of that weight that I carry around in the form of physical books. Last year I went through and donated about 5 medium sized boxes full of books I didn't plan to read/re-read and that got me down to 15 unread books on my shelf. I want to finish these 15 books and then read physical books as I get them.
This challenge has a shorted time-frame than a year because I move overseas in February and I want to be able to leave without leaving unread in storage. So far I've cut my 15 books down to 8 and I hope to keep going! (Though honestly I'm losing a bit of momentum already. Help!)
 I'm not tackling my e-reader yet because... there's probably over 100 books on there I haven't read yet.

Fourth (and final): I want to submit some of my writing for publication.
Notice that I didn't say that I want to get published, because really whether I get published or not is out of my control. What is in my control is submitting my work for consideration. So this year I want to submit something for publication at least every three months, so 4 pieces in total for the whole year. This goal is to get me back into my writing groove and explore short stories more as I have wanted to do for years.

So that's it! My 4 goals for 2017. 
What do you think? 
Do you agree with my focuses for the year? 
Is it too much, too little?
Do you make lists like this?
Comments and discussions down below! Let's chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment