F.Y.I.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Books I'm Taking to South Korea

I’m in Korea! 

This and the next few posts are written and scheduled in advanced because … I have no idea what the transition is going to be like. More on that in the future.

Since today is my book post day, I thought I’d share which physical books I’m taking with me to South Korea!




I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, I started the year with the goal of getting my TBR down to physical zero. 

So far, I’m down to 3, and these are the books I’m taking to SoKo with me.

First, the book I want to read on the plane:

Educating Simon by Robin Reardon

This is an LGBT YA novel that I bought when I was in London last year. It’s the story of a boy named Simon learning to live with his new step-father and step-sister. After his mother married this man, the whole family up and moved from England to Boston, so he has to deal with living in a new country (I can relate).

Finally, he is assigned to coach an 11-year-old who confides in Simon that he is really a she.

There is standard YA coming-of-age.
Life uprooted after a big family change and move.
And navigating life alongside a transgender child.
Lots of issues I relate to and I’m really looking forward to the read.

I’ve also read one other novel by Robin Reardon, which I really enjoyed, so I have high hopes!


Then, 2 hefty books I’ve had on my shelf for years:

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

To be honest, I have no idea what this book is actually about.

I’ve read Murakami’s short stories for a literature class in university.

I DNFed Kafka on the Shore several years ago.

But a lot of friends and people I admire are huge fans of Murakami, so I want to give him one more chance.

Please say nothing about what this book is about. I would rather go in blind!

AND:

Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder

This one is a novel that is kind of meant as an introduction to philosophy. It’s about a Norwegian girl who is learning different philosophy after finding notes in her mailbox asking “Who are you?” and “Where does the world come from?”

I’m really interested in different forms of philosophy so this sounds like a cool book to learn more about the subject.


Also, because it’s from the point of view of a 14-year-old girl in Norway learning all these things, there’s a younger perspective to the ideas that I look forward to experiencing.



So there you have it! The 3 books I'm taking to South Korea with me!
I also have my Kindle, and I will be reading a ton of books on that also. 
Plus, I use various apps and services to get ebooks and audiobooks in Korea.
I will have plenty of reading material!

My challenge to you - if you could only take three books with you to a foreign country (from your TBR) what would they be?

No comments:

Post a Comment