F.Y.I.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

T5W: Books to Battle Reading Slump

Sometimes, reading is hard. You want to read, but the motivation is lacking and you end up not reading anything.

This is a reading slump. Slumps are hard to overcome because you want to read, but just aren't and it feels like a vicious cycle. 

But this week on Top 5 Wednesday, we are looking at books that can help overcome a reading slump!


In no particular order:



Number 1!

An old favorite:

One way to get out of a slump is to go for a book that you already know you love. 

Grabbing a book that gives you all the happy feels and nostalgia can reignite the passion for reading and create new interest in reading more!

For me, an old favorite that helps me un-slump myself is:

The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling




Number 2!

A new suspenseful mystery:

Reading a suspense story is a great way to read more as well. 

If it's well done, just reading a few pages can introduce mysteries and secrets you want to know the end of. 

So you read more trying to find the answers! 

Much win.

My choice of suspense:
The Rhetoric of Death by Judith Rock




Number 3!

A sequel:

If you want to read, but can't find the passion, pick up that sequel you never got to! 

You already know the characters and the world, but new adventures can make you remember why you kept that book around. 

And remember the other interesting world to explore on your TBR.

My choice:
Magic Steps by Tamora Pierce
(not a sequel in itself, but the first book in a second quartet after Circle of Magic)




Number 4!

A super simple read:

Get back into the reading game easy by picking up a book that is quick, and doesn't require much brain power.

This can be a book for a younger audience, or something that you know isn't going to be hard to understand.

For me, I would read:
Girl Online by Zoe Sugg




Number 5!

A book to movie adaptation, 
when you've seen the movie but never read the book:

If you're like me, a lot of reading slumps are aided by Netflix.

I watch a lot of movies and TV when otherwise I would be reading.

So take advantage! Find a movie based on a book you haven't read yet and enjoy!

Then pick up the book and compare. You can get a lot of the story from the film, but the book is so much richer.

For me, one of my favorite movies is Rise of the Guardians which is based on the series, Guardians of Childhood by William Joyce.

Check out the first book in the series:

Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King by William Joyce




That's my suggestions for getting out of a reading slump. Now to take some of my own advice...

Thoughts? Comments?

Check out the T5W group on GoodReads as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment